Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Magdalena's family launches website

12-year-old girl from Bronx drowned while on hike



By Lisa Flynn

NIAGARA FALLS, NY (WIVB) - It's been one year since a 12-year-old girl from the Bronx drowned while on a hike near in the Niagara Gorge.

A handful of people re-traced the path Magdalena Lubowska and a group of children walked on that fateful hike that ultimately ended in her death.

Magdalena's aunt, Marta Lubowska and her attorney were among the handful of people who walked down into the Niagara Gorge at Whirlpool State Park to mark the one year anniversary of Magdalena's death. Magdalena accidentally slipped into the swirling rapids while on a hike with the group.

There was only one tour guide for 20 children, the 23-year-old son of the operator of an unlicensed camp that sponsored the childrens' visit.

Magdalena's aunt dropped flowers into the water in memory of her short life.

Marta Lubowska said, "I want to be here as much as I can just to be here with her. I know she's everywhere. She's always with me, but this is a special place for me. I promise to myself and I promise to her that people who are responsible and involved, they will pay for every little mistake they made."

Magdalena's family has set the legal wheels in motion to sue the City of Niagara Falls, Niagara County, and New York State.

Magdalena's family has also launched a website to help raise awareness about overnight and day camp safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment